Coconut oil is the natural oil which is extracted from the mature kernel of the coconut. Coconut offers a countless number of uses and is used in industries, in cooking, cosmetic purposes and other personal uses.
In what ways coconut oil can be used?
1) Skin Care: Coconut oil is used as a moisturizer for all skin types. It helps to make dry and lifeless skin look refreshed and glowing. Wrinkles on the skin can be reduced by the fat present in the oil. Skin diseases like dermatitis, psoriasis and eczema can be treated with coconut oil.
- Coconut oil is also used as an eye makeup remover and it helps in the moisturizing the skin around the eyes.
- It works as a very good aftershave lotion because it has inflammatory and anti-microbial properties. Coconut helps in fighting body odour also and works as a natural deodorant.
- Coconut oil can be used to make a luxurious body scrub without drying the skin.
- Acne treatment is also carried out by using coconut oil since coconut oil has antimicrobial properties.
- It works as an effective mosquito repellant because once coconut oil is applied to the skin, the skin becomes very slippery for mosquitoes. Toothpaste companies also use coconut oil in their products as coconut oil in toothpaste helps in cleaning teeth well and make gums healthy.
2) Stress relief: A head massage using circular motions is a sure remedy for stress and fatigue. The aroma of coconut is what provides the relief.
3) Fitness: Coconut oil acts as a very good stimulant for metabolism and coconut oil increases the energy level in the body. When the body metabolism is increased, the fat is reduced and muscles are developed.
4) Digestion: The saturated fats present in coconut oil help in controlling parasites and fungi that cause problems indigestion. It also helps in treating stomach ulcers. Coconut oil aids in better absorption of vitamins, minerals and amino absorption. Thus coconut oil helps in improving the overall health of a person.
5) Healing: Coconut oil has a property that when it is applied to a wound, coconut oil forms a thin layer on the wound which protects it from dust, viruses and dirt. Coconut oil also helps in healing a wound quickly by healing internal tissues.
6) Hair Conditioner: When applied to the scalp and hair it acts as an excellent conditioner and gives a glow to dull and dry hair. Hair becomes amazingly soft and shiny. Since coconut oil is natural it is better than any other conditioner bought from the market which would have a lot of chemicals Coconut oil also helps in reducing dandruff due to its anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties.
7) Promotes good health: Coconut oil helps in the prevention of many diseases
Coconut oil is used to clean bronze statues or displays. .This would help in deepening the colour of the artwork. It can also be used to polish furniture.
Coconut oil is widely used for cooking. It is used for frying and for adding flavour to curries It is used for baking pastries, cakes and biscuits. Partially hydrogenated oil or hydrogenated oil is used as a creamer. Coconut oil is used to make popcorn also. Desserts and beverages are also prepared using coconut oil. Unlike other vegetable oils, Coconut oil does not form harmful by-products when used in cooking.
Coconut oil is healthier oil because it has medium-chain fatty acids which are not the case with other cooking oils which have long-chain fatty acids. These fatty acids are smaller in size and can be utilized effectively by the body and so these can be digested easily by the body. Medium-chain fatty acids are not stored as fat but instead sent to the liver and converted to energy directly.
The body’s metabolism is also stimulated which helps in losing weight. Coconut oil also contains lauric acid which gets converted to monolaurin and monolaurin helps in strengthening the immune system.
These are the reasons why coconut oil is better for cooking.
Coconut oil is used for feedstock for producing biodiesel to be used in diesel engines. Thus it can be used as in diesel engines used for transport purposes and it can be used for power generators.
Coconut oil can be trans-esterified because it has a high gelling temperature that ranges between 22-25 degree, a minimum temperature of 500 degree Celsius in the combustion chamber and a high viscosity.
Many countries like the Philippines, Samoa and Vanuatu and other tropical island countries use coconut oil as an alternative to normal fuel for running automobiles. Coconut oil also has the potential to be used as a fuel for the generation of electricity
The acids that are derivatives of coconut oil can also be used as a herbicide. Coconut oil can also be used as transformer oil and a lubricant for engines.